Saturday, March 03, 2007

Night Train

I wanted to try an evening run so right after my ten hour day at work I squeezed by the new sculpture at the Grand Army Plaza at 5th and 59th Street and chugged up the long hill. And down the hill, around the Boathouse and up Cat Hill (I need to take a picture of the Cat so you all can see why it's called that, but if I stop too long, I stop.
There were two lucky circumstances tonight. One, a guy I could stay up with passed me about a mile into the run, so I hugged his heels for awhile and then, (I hardly ever get to say this) I passed him. I had to take off my jacket at that point. Note to self: stop wearing so many clothes!!!! Also stop carrying bottle of water, telephone, Palm and hugh set of keys!!
I was pretty much out of gas as I passed Fred's statue and I began plotting a way to cut across the park before getting all the way to the 102nd Street crossover, but then, out of no where, fifty runners appeared, all heading towards me but just as they got to where I was THEY TURNED AROUND and started running with me! You talk about getting a free ride! We flew along for the next mile and a half to the place where they all stopped to do stretches.

I'm calling tonight three miles although with the blocks from Lex to the park, it's closer to four.
There is something about people sleeping on the trains that fascinates me.



There he is. His world in one black plastic bag. What dreams is he dreaming as the train shrieks through the night? Joe(Off day tomorrow)Nation

No comments: