Sunday, February 25, 2007

Chilly Hills


Pretty frigid this morning at the 110th Street Entrance to Central Park, the temperature was 25F and the winds were light and Northerly at 7mph.








Some people were moved to stretch themselves further..
I was not.


I pushed my way up the first hill and then the second and then the third and began to wonder again why it is that most people run the Park in the opposite direction. Is it possible that there could be more hills in one direction than in another??

I really don't know. It's just one of those odd thoughts that come upon you in the middle of a run.

By the time I got to the South End after dodging the usual amount of baby carriages, dogs on-leash and off, tourist groups, walkers and runners who had stopped without warning, I was ready to face the North wind.
It wasn't there. I trotted up the West Side to 86th Street and here's something spooky. I had just finished listening to Dashboard Confessional's song Reason to Believe,

Dashboard Confessional
Reason To Believe
Oh sweet lungs don't fail me now

Your burning has turned into fear
It drills me in my every step
But you're always on my heels
Just one more breath, I beg you please

Just one more step, my knees are weak
My heart is sturdy but it needs you to survive
My heart is sturdy but it needs you

Breathe
Don't you want to breathe
I know that you are strong enough to handle what I need
My capalaries scream
There's nothing left to feed on
My body needs a reason to cross the line
Will you carry me there one more time

Steady lungs dont fail me know
I feel you bursting, but you wont let me die
Fill me up with every step, I'm feeling sick
But I'm leaving it behind

Just one more breath I beg you please
Just one more step my knees are weak
My legs are sturdy but they need you to survive
My heart is sturdy but I need you

Dont you want to breathe
I know that you are strong enough to handle what I need
My capalaries scream
Theres nothing left to feed on
My body needs a reason to cross the line
Will you carry me there once more

I have reason to believe
That I have victories to taste
I can feel them on my teeth
Upon my lips
And in my chest
I can roll them on my tongue
They almost supplement the feat
I feel the tension in my lungs
And every move is filled with my resolve to

Breathe

Dont you want to breathe
I know that you are strong enough to handle what I need
My capalaries scream
Theres nothing left to feed on
My body needs a reason to cross that line
Will you carry me there one more time?

Is that a great running song, or what? Anyway, I was reminding myself that soon I would need to stop using the music ZEN thingie because they aren't allowed in the marathon.

( Hey---A person talks to himself all the way through a run, there are lectures and laughter and the occasional 'shut up and run' sort of thing.)

Well, I had no sooner said that when in the middle of Coldplay's YELLOW http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/coldplay/yellow_20032647.html {look at the stars, look how they shine for you...} IT SHUT OFF ON IT"S OWN. Spirits?

I was left with the sound of my own breathing and the tap,rap,tap of my footsteps.

I liked it.
Last week was about on this winter's average of fifteen miles per week.
Got over a hundred miles for the year.
Starting out this week with 4.8 miles through the chilly hills.

Snow supposed to come again tomorrow. Where is Spring?
Joe(shut up and run)Nation

No comments: