Saturday, October 14, 2006

Traipsing, slogging, Your call.





Traipsing. Is that faster or slower than slogging? I think it's faster and it has a happier sound to it. So, yesterday, in preparation for the Staten Island Half-Marathon (Motto: This is only halfway of the real thing, you dope.) I went to the Park and traipsed over to the New York Road Runners office to pick up my number (Four Thousand Nine Hundred Ninety Three) and the very understated tee-shirt for the race, then I traipsed around the rest of the five mile loop as if it were nothing more than a walk in the park.








What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time it was taking me a hour to get from 59th Street to the subway station at 110th (about three miles) and I was very happy to get there. That's a quickie 30 minute jog for me now. What a difference not lugging around the extra 52 pounds.








But, so as to not bring down the god's wrath upon me, I am still just motivating along. No big theatrics, no sprints, no charging down hills (Although yesterday I did just let it roll out a little on the downhill by the theatre.) I stretch my hamstrings and knees and get warmed up before heading out. I have a headset full of hot songs and I put them on scramble so I never know what's coming next.




I was surprised to see so few people in the park yesterday. It was about the same number I see at five in the morning. The weather was perfect, clear skies and just a little wind now and then, but instead of seeing a lot of folks getting ready for either tomorrow or the Marathon itself (coming up in the first week of November). I took the camera along and tried taking a few while in motion (Uh,,,, no, doesn't work well.) and looked for the first tinges of fall color.

More tomorrow after I ride the ferry home.

No comments: