Monday, October 23, 2006

Seven Million Keystrokes Later





Everything will be alright, but not for a long time. There will be recovery and rememberances of things past. There will be some headslapping, but, hopefully no blood or exploding eardrums.


It was just part of the many things I did last night just before bed. No one should be allowed to do anything just before bed, but I should not be allowed anywhere near a mouse for at least thirty minutes before I think I am going to lay my head down. I do wild and crazy things.


I wanted to download an audio book or two or three. I hadn't downloaded any books for the past two months and I was building up credits into the double digit range. All I have been listening to in the last few months is music, hard driving, make your truck-like body go faster, music. I've listened and I've run, but now I think it's time to get back to feeding my head so I went to Audible.com and picked out a few: The Earth is Flat -I read the book a number of months back but now it's supposed to have updated and revised, Obama's book The Audacity of Hope, because you can't walk three steps in any direction without somebody talking about either him or the book and a series of speechs on the direction the digital world is going. Yeah, all heady stuff.


But, of course, the software didn't recognize me or my password and -and!- the software, after being convinced that it was, in fact, me, didn't recongize either of my players. Yes, I have two, I only need one but because I have two I would like to use one for books and one for music, is that so bad?


Anyway, it took me over an hour to get the thing to download the books and get them onto to the Concept Muvo.


Do you know what I find weird? This can't-get-the-software-to-work things happens to me all the time. Everyone in the movies goes to their computer, even goes to the computer of the evil spy genius, and, with a few keystrokes, downloads the files, accesses the money file and escapes within minutes, seconds even. I get -email unknown- error OXX12L23-contact the planet ZARGON for assistance.



I know.... in the movies from time immemorial the hero can always find a parking place too.




No comments: