Monday, October 09, 2006

Who's out there? Or in there?


I've been thinking about the folks who believe in Intelligent Design. I think I can help them. I think they are trying too hard to find ID in really big things like universes or really complex things like eyes. (They think eyes are way too complex just to have happened on their own.) But real examples of some kind of supernatural being sticking his nose into my life are really a lot easier to find than any of these and a whole lot more complex than just an optical organ.
For example, and this may not be the best example I have, I am just throwing this one out there to see how it floats, last Saturday one of the light fixtures in the kitchen began to flicker and then it went out. I got a new bulb but when I touched the fixture, it came on, it was brought back to life.
Then Sunday, it died again. Touching didn't help. Batting it with the palm of my hand revealed no sign of electrons swimming. So, I went out and got another fixture just like it. I came into the kitchen and laid the bag with the new fixture on the counter and turned on the lights. The dead fixture was still dead. I said aloud, "Okay, time to throw that one away." and I turned to go get the stepstool out of the hall closet. As I reached the door to the hallway, the light fixture came on." It has remained on ever since, it is now Tuesday.
Now what to make of this? Obviously, there is a little god-like Intelligence within the light fixture which is testing my resolve. Probably waiting for my to return the unopened new fixture before disintergrating in a flash of A/C and metal screen, but like a chessmaster of the universe I have seen, or preseen this move and have not returned the fixture. (Mostly, that's because I forgot to bring it to the store today, but that doesn't make it any less prescient on my part. Right?)
I used to think these things were caused by evil spirits, but that is a silly, primitive way of looking at the world. Now I know that the creator of the universe actually has time to spend in my kitchen messing with the light fixtures in order to bring about this revelation.

No comments: