Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bright lights at the Finish Line


This doesn't look like a finish line, but it's mine. That's the thing about running in the city, you make things become what you need. So this newsstand at 59th St and Columbus Circle is it for me, the end. Just to the left are the stairs to the A and the train home.




It's been raining in the city on and off for the past two weeks and looks like we shall have a some showers for the run on Sunday morning. Between the falling water and my back problems, which have gone away for a few days, my whole schedule has been thrown out of whack. Last night I chugged around the resivour and even stayed with some people for a short time before falling back. I have perfected the slog, a kind of running at walking speed not quite double-time shuffle that I can keep up for as long as I have time. It's not quite effortless, I sweat like a boiler room sailor, often soaking through two tee shirts and dampening the sweatshirt on top, but so far it seems I can do it forever.

Or until I come to the newsstand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go for it