Monday, September 15, 2008

The Queens Half (Marathon, that is.)


Okay.
Clock didn't go off.
I woke up anyway.
Checked the radar for excuse.
No rain.
Actually laid back down and had the following conversation with myself:
Screw it.
What are you going to do instead?
Sleep. Now shut up.
Are you going to run later?
Yeeees. (pounds pillow)
How far?
I'll do about 10 or so.
Sooo, you are going to sleep now instead of getting up and going to the Queens Half so that later you can run almost the same distance.
Arrrrrgh.
(gets up, gets dressed, grabs bag and gatorade and big piece of toast. Out the door in two minutes flat. It's 3:52 am)

=I just got home. I'm showered and I had a nice lunch and now I'm going to lay down for an hour=

The race was fun. I met several really nice people, especially a (too young) Michelle whom I rode over from Manhattan to Queens with, sat and talked with for two hours while we waited for the start and ran with for about the first three miles. No, I didn't get her last name (she's too young, remember.) But I think I will see her again, we run about the same speed (when I am not two days after a roto-rooter expedition.)

I did really well I think. The procedure did take a lot out of me. Har har. but seriously, I brought along three Energy Gels and took one just before the start, one at six miles and one at nine and half miles and, I think, they really made the difference for me today.


I was about fifteen minutes slower than usual but that was as good as I could do.

I am taking myself out for a drink and a steak tonight.

Joe(two hours, twenty three minutes and fifteen seconds)Nation

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's an "energy gel"?

Congrats. For an ole man, you didn't do half bad. Keep up the good work.

Now, next time, set the alarm.