Friday, December 05, 2008

The Gardener Returns

I had forgotten how much fun it was to be a farmer, um, gardener.
Wait.
Farming implies actual ride-able machines, so maybe not farming.
Gardening, vegetable gardening is the growing of food.
I am growing my own food. Okay, some of my own food. Okay! Okay! I'm just sprouting seeds, but it's like gardening only without the scraping around in the earthy muck.
Sprouter just doesn't have the same pop as Gardener.
Ah.

A customer came in the other day and asked if anyone knew how to sprout cabbage seeds.
I knew. Back in my hippie days I sprouted wheat, mung beans, alfalfa and cabbage. yum.

I showed him the Mason jars and the food-grade cheese cloth and gave him a two minute recital on rinsing and waiting. (Most seeds will sprout in about three days after soaking in water the first night and getting a rinse twice a day after that, but it's the setting in the window to get some sunshine that makes almost any sprout extra tasty.)Anyway, he shows back up three days later with a big smile and a thanks and a bag of organic cabbage seed for me.
I've already grown a batch and, not only do they punch up a salad, but it is also such a satisfying experience.
Joe(photos=== that will be dull as mud=== to follow)Nation

No comments: