Sunday, November 05, 2006

Opportunity Knocks, Rationality Answers

A friend writes in regard to the Staten Island Half Marathon:
Great PR!!! I am still working out what PR means but please don't help me, I'm sure I can come up with something. AH, Personal Record - just tell me if I'm wrong.

Skip


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It could also stand for Particular Reason as in “Do you have any particular reason for standing out in this cold in your shorts?”

Or Personal Renewal which is a lot like Urban Renewal, there is a lot of dust created and eaten and when you are finished no one remembers what the original looked like.


Or Pathetic Raison d'etre. Never mind.

======================================================================

I was hoist by a personal dilemma these past few days. A friend of mine has an entry in THIS year’s marathon, but he is injured and cannot run it. So he offered to pick up his chip (the thing we wear to monitor our times) and bib (the number we wear – it was going to be like number 20331) and give it to me to wear IF I wanted.

What a temptation! I know I could do twenty miles, but I haven’t pushed past that.

Aside from the fact that you are not supposed to transfer any entry and I could be disqualified for next year if I was found out, I was really psyched up and ready.


I got out the maps.

I looked up the ferry schedule.

(The busses were full so I would have to walk trot miles to the starting area. No biggie)
If I ran sixteen miles, I would be back in Manhattan and I could quit and take a taxi home… …. …. I started packing the old sweatshirt I would abandon at the start when a question bubbled up from somewhere deep in my medulla oblongata, “What part of your plan is this?”

UH.

I gave the ticket back to him.

I’m going to Marcus Garvey Plaza to watch this morning.

Hey…… want to see what a truck looks like on a downhill at ten miles into a thirteen miler???



No comments: