Monday, March 28, 2005

First thoughts on patterns.

Getting the hang of the different pages and editing tools has taken up much of my time, but I'm getting the hang of it. What I want to do with these pages is just write each morning for a limited amount of time (haven't decided how much time just yet) and see if there is any there there.
So, I've been thinking about patterns and the way the mind recognizes certain patterns, the shape of mountains, the curve of a face, the aspect of a shape against another shape and have begun to wonder if we aren't programmed ourselves to seek out certain shapes and ignore others. Every day on the street there are thousands of faces to look at but only certain ones catch my eye, the rest seem as alike or as uninteresting as cans of soup on market shelf.
The first pattern that I remember thinking about was the line of mountains or hills near my hometown. My heart would swell as I drove over the last hill before getting there and then I would see that peculiar line. I often wondered if ancient people got the same feeling as they wandered from place to place and then returned home. And I found myself unconsciously drawing that pattern when I attempted (badly) to draw a landscape so that pattern it seemed was inborn or acquired at some point without me being conscious of it.

No comments: