Thursday, July 10, 2003

So they asked at Able2know.com who I would invite to a party from all the people who ever lived......... so here is the list:

What I have in mind for my party is a big tub of beers and about six kinds of bourbon. The eats will be at a table inside, barbeque, dogs and potato salad and all the trimmings, but outside on the porch, sitting in a big circle, trading songs and saying "Hold on, let's see that again." are

Pete Seeger: who taught me not to be afraid of holding unpopular ideas.
Joan Baez: a voice clear as a candle flame in a darkened club.
James Taylor: I started stealing his chord changes in 1968.
Van Morrison: I just want to have some goosebump moments.
Joni Mitchell: At the big piano, or playing my Martin 12 string.
Eric Clapton: I want to hear him and Pete together. Don't you?
Roy Orbison: the candy colored clown, where did that come from?
Bonnie Raitt: The only singer who makes me cry every time.
B.B. King: If there were no blues, there would be no music.
Janis Joplin: Pass the jack, sing a little 'Bobbie Magee'.

Don't come over early, things won't really get going till about 2 in the morning when we all start trying to remember the first song we ever played that sounded like music.

Did I forget to mention that all my musicians have to come as they were in 1969? You can rest in the chairs on the side lawn and listen. Or you can traipse inside for the food or mosey around back where Elmer, my friend from Tulsa, who made barbeque so sweet and tender, will be running his smoker. He can rest in peace later.
My mom (r.i.p.) has made three kinds of salad for the beans and greens crowd and there's no limit as long as you eat what you take and put your dirty plate in the barrel! And pies, you want pies? We've got blueberry (picked at Gramma's Jeff's farm this morning) and peach (brought in from North Carolina by my sister and her partner Elaine), there's two kinds of strawberry and a rhubarb that will make you think you're the one who's died and gone to heaven.
People will come and go all night, wandering over to see where the music is coming from, then sit there for awhile under the trees. Up on the little balcony, off the yellow bedroom, there's a little box of rolled up treasures and some wooden matches. I'll go up there with any of you who wants to be a little mellow. We'll have a toke or two and watch the smoke drifting out with the breeze. The music will rise, the moon will move across the sky and, one by one, the lights across the valley will go out.

No comments: